Suji Ka Halwa (Semolina Pudding)
- ½ cup ghee or oil
- 6 pods of cardamom cracked
- 1 cup suji semolina flour, available in specialty Indian/Pakistani grocery stores
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon blanched almonds
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add sugar and stir until it has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat ghee or oil. Add cracked cardamom. Fry on low heat till fragrant for about a minute.
- Add suji (semolina flour) and roast it on low heat for 8-10 minutes till it begins to puff up. Keep an eye on the color since the time will vary depending on the type of saucepan you are using and whether you are using ghee or neutral oil. Ghee has a higher smoke point so it will take a longer time to roast.
- Once the suji has turned an even golden brown, turn the heat off and add sugar syrup. Turn heat back up and stir well for 5 minutes till the mixture thickens and you get a nice silky texture.
- Add sliced almonds and stir till well-mixed. Remove from heat.
Serve by itself as dessert, or have it as a side with chole and poori for a classic Punjabi breakfast.